• Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Choisya ternata sundance turning yellow?

Hello, can anyone suggest why my recently planted Choisya ternata sundance looks so poorly please?

Uploaded files:
    • IMG_20230511_183606-1.jpg
    • IMG_20230511_183544.jpg
    • IMG_20230511_183532.jpg
    • IMG_20230511_183518.jpg
    • IMG_20230511_183504.jpg
    • IMG_20230511_183458.jpg

Hi @alroyrob

Thanks for your comment on what's making your Choisya turn yellow.

The quick answer is it looks like chlorosis meaning a lack of chlorophyll. This is usually caused by an absence of micronutrients iron and magnesium in the soil that the plant needs but can't access. I've discussed this very issue recently here on the forum.

It's usually either poor soil, lack of moisture so the plant can't take up nutrients or a plant struggling to source the whole range of nutrients needed for healthy plant growth from its growing condition.

What I would suggest is giving this plant a good liquid feed, maybe of comfrey tea and also a top dress of peat free compost to help address the imbalance. Then it should perk up.

Hope that helps!

Lee

Alroyrob has reacted to this post.
    Alroyrob

Thank you Lee for your reply. Although it is a yellow leaved plant (Sundance), I suspect that you are correct in suggesting that there could be an imbalance in the soil.  I have shown the pics to my local garden centre and they have told me that the plant is showing signs of frost damage ? I'm not so sure that I agree with them. There is another Choisya planted close to the poorly one which is showing no signs of damage. Which makes me wonder why 2 closely planted Choisyas are performing so differently if they are in the same soil ? Anyway, I will take your advice and see how it goes. Thanks again.  

Lee Garden Ninja has reacted to this post.
    Lee Garden Ninja

Hi @alroyrob

It could be as simple as a sickly plant that's been grown at the back of a big polytunnel before being shipped out to the garden centres. You may have unknowingly bought a poorly shrub.

I had the same issue with two Viburnum davidii. One now is 1.5m tall. The other bought at the same time always looks sickly (which reminds me I must get rid of the ill one finally after 3 years!!)

All the best

Lee

Alroyrob has reacted to this post.
    Alroyrob

Update.. The garden centre has offered to replace the Choisya with a Photinia (hopefully more hardy). 

Thanks Lee for your advice.

Online garden design courses

Share this now!