• Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Flamingo Willow........ what's happening?

I've lived here for 5 years and inherited this tree from the previous owner, no idea when it was planted.

It's always been easy to care for and flourished for the last 5 years, trimmed back in the autumn and this year it literally looks like it's dying, very woody and hardly any growth.

Is it beyond saving? Please help 

Uploaded files:
    • IMG_20240622_195842113_HDR.jpg
    • IMG_20240622_195823650_HDR.jpg

Hi @tolkienista37

Thanks for your query on your Salix Flamino tree.

Looking at the images I think its gone into pruning shock. Autumn isn't the best time for a hard prune, the ideal time for this trees is in the dead of winter when they are dormant. I can see dead wood and damage from pruning wounds, unfortunately.

Clearly it's making somewhat of a recovery, but if I were you, I'd give this tree a good liquid feed of organic plant food and then give it a neater prune this winter to remove any of the old and dead growth (anything black or brittle).

I hope that helps, and let us know how you get on!

Lee Garden Ninja

Tolkienista37 has reacted to this post.
    Tolkienista37

@Lee thank you so much for your detailed reply, that is extremely helpful and more importantly really well informed.

I am so guilty of pruning things back when it suits me rather than when it suits the bush/ plant /tree but now I've learnt my lesson the hard way and you've put me on the right path.

Thank you so much. I will follow your instructions and hopefully save my beloved little tree.

Quote from Tolkienista37 on 24th June 2024, 7:53 pm

@lee thank you so much for your detailed reply, that is extremely helpful and more importantly really well informed.

I am so guilty of pruning things back when it suits me rather than when it suits the bush/ plant /tree but now I've learnt my lesson the hard way and you've put me on the right path.

Thank you so much. I will follow your instructions and hopefully save my beloved little tree.

@lee hopefully you will get to read my post and my appreciation!

@lee 

It's me again!

I've looked at your accompanying video on plant food and guess that I need a nitrogen rich feed to promote leaf growth..........but where on earth do i locate this, online or in store.  Honestly, no idea what to buy.

Online garden design courses

Share this now!