• Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Orange fungus in my soil?

I am new to gardening so learning as I go. I replanted a hydrangea but there is now orange fungus growing in the soil. Can you please advise me on how I can deal with the fungus. Thank you.

Uploaded files:
    • 0A75F85A-E673-4AB1-9225-BF1117D2F33A.jpeg
    • 348E6918-019A-49FF-8B22-4E23438CAEDC.jpeg

Hi @sarah

Thanks for your comment about the orange blob of mould in your compost.

Firstly don't worry; they are harmless. These orange blobs, sometimes referred to as dog vomit, are actually slime mould! The orange fungus is a species of slime mould known scientifically as physarum polycephalum.

What is a slime mould?

slime mould, also known as a slime mould or slime fungus, is a unique organism that belongs to the kingdom Protista. Slime moulds are not true fungi, although they were once classified as fungi due to their similar appearance and habitat. They are now classified as protists because of their distinct characteristics and evolutionary relationships.

Slime moulds can be found in various habitats, including forests, meadows, and decaying organic matter. They are most commonly observed during moist and humid conditions. Slime moulds come in a variety of colours, including yellow, orange, white, and brown, and can appear as slimy patches, gelatinous masses, or powdery coatings.

There are two main types of slime molds: plasmodial slime moulds and cellular slime moulds.

1. Plasmodial slime molds: These slime moulds exist as a single, large, multinucleate cell known as a plasmodium. The plasmodium is not divided by cell membranes, and it moves and feeds by engulfing bacteria, fungi, and organic matter. Plasmodial slime molds can grow to several centimeters or even meters in size, and they are often seen as a network of branching veins or a mass covering leaves or logs.

2. Cellular slime molds: These slime molds live most of their lives as individual amoeboid cells. When conditions become unfavorable, they aggregate together to form a multicellular slug-like structure called a pseudoplasmodium. The pseudoplasmodium can move as a cohesive unit, seeking a suitable location for spore production. Eventually, the pseudoplasmodium develops into a fruiting body that releases spores for reproduction.

Both types of slime moulds play important roles in ecosystems. They contribute to the decomposition of dead organic matter, breaking it down and recycling nutrients back into the environment. Slime molds are also interesting subjects for scientific research due to their unique life cycles, behaviors, and cellular mechanisms. They are really valuable for a healthy garden!

While slime moulds may appear strange or alarming to some people, they are harmless to humans, animals, and plants. They do not pose any health risks or cause damage to structures or crops. Instead, they are fascinating organisms that contribute to the natural processes of decomposition and nutrient cycling.

So live and let live Sarah!

sarah has reacted to this post.
    sarah
    Online garden design courses

Share this now!