• Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Rudbeckia shrivelling and dying

I have three clumps of around half-dozen rudbeckia.  One-by-one the plants are dying.  The leaves turn brown and shrivel and so do the flowers. I thought drought but the ground is damp.

Uploaded files:
    • PXL_20240808_112518885.jpg
    • PXL_20240808_112535901.jpg
    • PXL_20240808_112603350.jpg
    • PXL_20240808_112632973.jpg
    • PXL_20240808_112921577.jpg

Hi @trailguru

I'm sorry to hear about your Rudbeckia, they are one of my all time favourite plant genus. Sadly I think this isn't lack of water or scorch but Verticillium dahliae which is a wilt disease.

Verticillium dahliae is a soil-borne fungus that causes Verticillium wilt, affecting a wide range of plants, including Rudbeckia (commonly known as Black-eyed Susans). This pathogen attacks the plant's vascular system, leading to wilting and eventual death if not managed.

Symptons of Verticillium dahliae

• Wilting One of the first signs is wilting, starting with older leaves. Despite adequate watering, affected leaves turn yellow, curl, and eventually brown.
    • Stunted Growth Infected Rudbeckia plants may show stunted growth, with fewer and smaller flowers or flower that fail to open properly and just sag.
    • Vascular Discoloration Cutting into the stem may reveal brown streaks in the vascular tissue, a hallmark of Verticillium wilt.

Treatment of Verticillium dahliae

Verticillium dahliae, the cause of Verticillium wilt, is a challenging pathogen to manage because it persists in the soil for many years and isn't treatable with sprays or other garden centre-bought treatments. While there is no cure for plants once they are infected, the best way to help manage the disease is to remove ad destroy the plants immediately and reduce its impact on your garden.

Remove and burn/dispose of any plants showing symptoms of Verticillium wilt. This prevents the fungus from spreading to healthy plants. Do not compost infected plant material, as the fungus can survive and spread through compost.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but timely removal and destruction are the best ways to reduce the spread of the virus.

Do let us know how you get on!

Lee Garden Ninja

It sounds like Verticillium wilt is affecting your Rudbeckia, a challenging soil-borne fungus. The best approach is to remove and destroy infected plants immediately to prevent the spread of the disease. Improving soil health through organic matter and proper drainage, rotating crops, and avoiding composting infected material are crucial for managing and reducing the impact of Verticillium. Consider planting resistant varieties, maintaining clean tools, and practicing consistent watering to support plant health. Regular inspections can also help catch issues early.

Thank you for the quick responses.  I grew these, and several other nearby perennials, from cuttings and seed this year so I hope I've not been a bit sloppy with plant hygene. I'll pull out the sick plants and bag them 🙁

Next to the Rudbeckia I have Eryngium that may be affected (photos attached). Should these be binned as well?

Uploaded files:
    • PXL_20240809_144345410.jpg
    • PXL_20240809_144432778.jpg
    Online garden design courses

Share this now!